Peter G. Sahlstrom
Proven operational excellence in challenging situations. Significant success managing projects and people in large and small enterprises within the Information Technology industry.
Certified Project Manager, Licensed Professional Engineer, and MBA graduate
with expertise in
Experienced in product management,
and software development. Excellent critical thinking and analysis skills.
|Damballa - Atlanta, GA|
|Senior Director of Product Management, 2016-present; Product Manager, 2013-2016
Formalized the process of translating customer needs into implemented product features while establishing a predictable release schedule and feature pipeline. Responsible for managing the direction of Failsafe, Damballa's flagship enterprise product.
Upon becoming Director of Product, added oversight of Damballa's carrier-grade product, as well as Damballa's new product pipeline.
- Increased release frequency while establishing conformity between requirements and implemented features.
- Restructured the release pipeline to remove bottlenecks and eliminate uncertainty around release timelines.
- Negotiated with third-party security vendors to identify opportunities for mutual integration, then designed technical integration specifications, drafted engineering requirements, implemented testing infrastructure, and prepared customer-facing documentation to implement 15 of these integrations.
- Provided frequent customer roadmap presentations and webinars to communicate development priorities, solicit customer feedback, and support the contract renewal cycle.
- Presented company and product overviews to technical societies, journalists, and industry analysts.
- Overhauled the product documentation process to insure documentation was accurate and fully available by release time. Implemented version control systems to track documentation changes over time, support a collaborative workflow, and simplify releasing documentation updates.
- Drafted customer-facing release announcements, release notes, and feature overviews.
|IBM Security - Sandy Springs, GA|
|Level 3 Software Engineer & Team Lead, 2010-2013
- Investigated, diagnosed, and resolved customer issues with IBM security products.
- Implemented new features and repaired defects while managing a large legacy software code base.
- Brokered communication between engineering teams and customer support.
- Mentored and oversaw the professional development of teammates.
- Installed and maintained team lab equipment.
- Analyzed packet captures to identify and diagnose erratic network behavior.
- Co-founded a Toastmasters club to help colleagues improve speaking and leadership skills.
|IBM Internet Security Systems - Sandy Springs, GA|
|Senior Technical Support Analyst, 2006-2010; Technical Support Analyst, 2005-2006
- Provided enterprise customer support on IPS, IDS, and multifunction network security products.
- Lead a team of front-line analysts
and trained them to troubleshoot and resolve technical problems.
- Served as an escalation point for especially complex or difficult issues.
- Conducted on-site visits to resolve persistent customer issues.
- Managed a project to redesign the support ticketing system to meet new requirements.
|Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, Georgia|
|Master of Business Administration, May 2013
Specialized in project management, organizational behavior, and corporate strategy.
Certificates in entrepreneurship and management of technology.
|Georgia Institute of Technology - Atlanta, Georgia|
|Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, August 2005
Specialized in computer architecture, networking, and embedded systems.
| Licensed Professional Engineer ||
Georgia PE037116, expires 12/31/2016|
| Project Management Professional ||
PMI License 1768003, 2014-present |
| IEEE Computer Society, Atlanta Chapter ||
| Lean Six Sigma Blackbelt ||
Georgia Tech Program, 2013-present |
| Abiding Grace Lutheran Church ||
President, 2014-present; Treasurer, 2009-2013 |
| Secure Speakers Toastmasters ||
| Georgia Tech IEEE Student Branch ||
Branch Mentor, 2009-present |
- Earned numerous product awards for Damballa Failsafe, including Info Security's Global Excellence award and Frost & Sullivan's 2015 New Product Innovation Award.
- Oversaw ten product software updates on an accelerating release schedule with a continuous improvement in feature set, product quality, and fulfillment of customer needs.
- Implemented targeted spot-training and a focused weekly incident review process that increased customer satisfaction and reduced incident time-to-close by 50%.
- Developed a custom internal software application to overcome difficulties in product troubleshooting. This tool is now in use by hundreds of internal users and has saved thousands of hours of analysis time.
- Eliminated tens of thousands of dollars in shipping errors by developing a utility to validate product serial numbers and confirm customer license status before starting the hardware replacement process.
- As Georgia Tech IEEE Student Branch Mentor, repeatedly mediated interpersonal disagreements between officers through working one-on-one with individuals, squelching discordant behavior before it had a chance to spread, and developing policies to foster transparency and honest interaction among members.
- As Failsafe Product Manager, inherited a development project that was over two years behind schedule and guided it to a successful release on a reasonable timetable with an improved feature set.
- As Abiding Grace President, lead the congregation through a merger with another area congregation that was in danger of closing. This involved developing a strategy for undertaking the merger, leading the two congregations toward a unified set of expectations, brokering the merger, and developing a new leadership structure that would provide for representation and assimilation between campuses.
- As Abiding Grace Secretary/Treasurer, oversaw spending throughout a $1.2 million building project, prepared the annual congregational budget, paid recurring bills, and provided monthly financial updates. Served as delegate to conventions, led congregational meetings, and mediated conflict among members.
- For IEEE SoutheastCon 2009, designed and implemented a registration system that ultimately tracked nearly 1000 registrations and processed over $100,000 of revenue.
- Increased meeting participation at Secure Speakers Toastmasters by implementing an improved agenda and meeting sign-up system. Led a membership campaign which doubled average meeting attendance. Earned President's Distinguished club status two years in a row.
- Prepared and taught an evening lecture series for a group of Customer Support employees interested in learning how to program in Java.